Pros and Cons of Six Metal Roof Types
The Most Popular Types Of Metal Roofs
- Aluminum Roofing
- Steel Roofing
- Copper Roofing
- Zinc roofing
- Tin roofing
- Lead roofing
Because of its lightweight and long-lasting properties, aluminum is a popular choice for metal roofing. Aluminum is non-corrosive and will not rust over time. Aluminum roofs can become very hot when exposed to direct sunlight.
- Low weight: This is one of the most lightweight roofing materials on the market.
- Long-lasting: With proper maintenance, it can last for up to 50 years.
- Low heat resistance: Aluminum can get very hot when exposed to direct sunlight.
- Higher initial installation costs: Metal roofs are more expensive to install than asphalt shingles.
Steel can be used in both residential and commercial constructions. It is strong, durable, and long-lasting. Steel is severe weather resistant and fire-resistant, so it’s a good choice in any climate. Steel roofs are heavy and may be challenging to install or unsuitable for certain structures that can’t support the weight.
- Steel offers strength and affordability.
- Steel can resist fire.
- Weatherproof: Steel is weatherproof in all conditions, including snow, ice and severe rain storms.
- High weight: Steel roofs are quite heavy.
- Special equipment and techniques are required for installation.
Copper roofs have a long life expectancy and a beautiful appearance. Copper roofs are easy to maintain and require little upkeep. Copper roofs are not affordable and can prove to be costly.
- When installed properly, copper roofs are extremely beautiful and can last up to 100 years.
- Low upkeep: Copper roofs don’t require any maintenance over the years.
- Installation can be costly: Copper roofing systems are often very expensive, particularly if they have been installed already.
Zinc roofing is a good choice for long-lasting, durable roofs. Zinc roofs are fireproof and eco-friendly. Zinc roofs are more expensive than other metals and require greater maintenance.
- Zinc roofing is durable: With proper maintenance, zinc roofs can be durable for many decades.
- Zinc roofing is fire-resistant, which makes them an excellent choice for people who live near high-risk areas.
- Zinc is an environmentally friendly element. It does not emit toxins into the atmosphere.
- Zinc roofing can be expensive: Zinc roofing is more costly than some other options.
Tin roofing is a great choice for those who want a long-lasting, low-maintenance roof. Tin roofs are affordable and a good option for people on a tight budget who desire the look and low maintenance of a metal roof. Tin roofs are noisy during rain storms and hail storms.
- They are durable: Tin roofing can last up to 50 years, which makes them an excellent investment.
- Tin roofing is low-maintenance. This can help you save money over the long term.
- Affordable: Tin roofing is much cheaper than other metal roofing options.
- Loud: Tin roofs are prone to being noisy in hailstorms and rainstorms. It can be difficult to sleep or conduct business with the volume of sound.
Low maintenance and durability are two of the best qualities of lead roofs. Lead roofs are severe weather resistant and fireproof, making them an excellent choice in any climate. Lead roofs are heavy and may be challenging to install or unsuitable for certain structures that can’t support the weight.
- Durable: Lead roofing is known for its durability and ease of maintenance.
- They are fireproof: Lead roofs can also be used in any type of climate.
- Weatherproof: Lead roofs can withstand any weather conditions, which makes them an excellent choice in all climates.
- Heavy: Lead roofs are heavy and may be challenging to install or unsuitable for certain structures that can’t support the weight.
A metal roof has many benefits but is more costly to install than an asphalt shingle roof. An experienced roofing company can help you determine the best roofing options for your budget and design aesthetic. If you are considering metal roofing in Evans, GA, or the greater Augusta, GA, area, let Impact Roofing & Construction help.
Impact Roofing & Construction is a trustworthy roofing contractor that will do the job correctly when your roof needs repair or replacement. We provide high-quality, professional results. Impact is a family-owned roofing, gutter, and construction business that has been serving the CSRA for over 20 years.
Impact offers metal roof repair, metal roof replacement, and new metal roof installation services. Roofers at Impact are highly skilled in installing and repairing metal roofs, as well as three-tab and architectural asphalt shingles. Contact us today for more information.